Dogs are good friends of human beings. They are most loyal than any other beings, and they shower unconditional love to their owners. They are selfless animals who only care about the feelings of their owners. Humans have trained dogs as their companions in hunting for many years.
In the USA every year more than 4.5 million people are bitten by dogs. When we estimate, half of the suffering people were children who received medical attention when they were bitten by a dog. Children are the most common victims of dog bites as children are friendlier to them.
You may like to read : Pomsky
Top Tips to prevent dog bites
We should take prevention from dog bites from within our homes. Some simple steps to follow if any dog bites you are below;
- We should never leave our young ones alone at home with dogs even if they are family friendly dogs. Every dog can bite, and we should think twice before leaving our kids with them.
- You should teach our kids to move slowly and calmly while passing in front of them.
- We should not play aggressive games with dogs. The games like wrestling and tug-of-war because these games can trigger them to bite.
- You should let a dog sniff us before we are about to pet them. We should be careful not to touch his tail or head while petting.
- We should pat the dog gently, and avoid eye contact specifically if you are meeting the dog for the first time.
- The dog owner should not irritate or bother dogs while they are eating, sleeping, or caring for their puppies. In such situations, dogs mostly behave aggressively even with their owner.
- We should be distancing ourselves from the dog if they are behaving threateningly, for example, growling and barking. At that time we should remain calm and avoid eye contact with them and move back slowly until the dog loses his interest and leaves.
- Most dogs bite due to aggressive behavior. There are multiple types of aggressive behavior. Food aggression can be avoided by teaching your dog to wait for their food more calmly and they should wait calmly unless it has been placed in front of them.
- We should not run away from a dog or get panic around them. Such behavior promotes aggressiveness in them.
- If we are knocked down by a dog, curl yourself into a ball with head tucked in and your hands over our neck and ears. After escaping from there wash the injuries with soap and water and try to seek medical attention immediately.
- If dog bites than apply antibiotic cream on the bitten area, and cover the wound with a clean bandage. If you develop a fever or your wounds become red and painful, then you should immediately consult a veteran. Also, if the dogs behave strangely after he has bitten you then take the dog for consultation with a vet.
- There are multiple diseases that we can get if a dog bites you for example Rabies, MRSA, Tetanus and many others.
- We should not wait for a serious incident to happen for taking action. If your dog shows aggressive behavior in the first place towards anybody, then we should take him for a visit to a professional who is certified in the field of Applied Animal Behaviorist or a veterinary behaviorist.
- We should socialize our dogs because these dogs make trustworthy and enjoyable companions as the dogs which are not so socialized they become a risk to their owners and others due to their non-predictable nature.
Read also: Ways to calm a hyper dog